Student Frequently Asked Questions about ASL
Does ASL count towards my foreign language requirement?
Yes, it does. The state of Florida recognizes ASL as a language, and thus awards 2 credits to satisfy the foreign language requirement for high school graduation.
What colleges accept ASL as an entrance requirement?
Most colleges do. In the state of Florida, ALL public community colleges and state universities accept ASL as an entrance requirement. Many others do as well. Most colleges do. If your are looking at a specific college out of state, I recommend you contact that college's admissions office directly to confirm the acceptance of ASL.
What’s the best way to study ASL?
Practice in class both when I am signing by copying me as we are learning and reviewing, and just practice in general. At home, review the Master ASL! DVD for the chapter which we are covering. Also, aslpro.com is a great resource to review.
What books do I need for class?
You do not need to bring your textbook to class unless I specifically ask you to bring it. You may leave it at home and use it to study. 99% of what we do in class is on PowerPoint and it is everything from the textbook. Do not lose you textbook; it is $100 and you will have to pay for it at the end of the year if you lose it.
You also will need the Master ASL! DVD. You should also keep this at home. Every few weeks or so, you will have either a dialogue or narrative that you will need to sign for a grade. This narrative or dialogue will come directly from the DVD.
Is there extra help/tutoring avaliable?
Yes. Tutoring will be avaliable Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:40-9:10, Wednesdays from 2:40-3:40, and during all lunches on Tuesdays. Students who have a 75% or below should come for extra help. For each 30-minute session the student attends, you may earn 1 extra point on the upcoming test (up to 10 points). There is a calendar in the classroom where you can sign up for help on the days listed above.
Is there extra credit?
Yes. Please see the extra credit webpage.
Are there websites that will help me study?
What’s the best way to keep my grade up?
1. Practice signing in an outside of class.
2. Continue to monitor your grades to make sure you are not missing anything. I encourage you to look at parent assist on a regular basis to keep track of your grades. If you wait until the end of the quarter, then find out that you didn't complete an assignment from many weeks prior, you will not be able to make that up.
My grade is bad. Why?
1. If you are not watching while I am signing, you will not succeed. This class isn't like a lecture class; you can't keep your head down and listen. You MUST watch all the time.
2. If you are not signing with me when we are covering new material or reviewing material, you will struggle. You CANNOT absorb the information simply by watching; you MUST sign repetitely to learn the signs that you need to know.
3. Check to see if you are missing assignments.
Do I have to take 2 years of a language, or can I take 1 year of two different languages?
The state of Florida requires taking 2 years of the SAME language in order to satify the college ready diploma. You may not take 1 year of two different languages to satisfy this requirement; it must be 2 years of the same language.
Does ASL count towards Bright Futures Scholars?