Welcome to the homepage for Nease's American Sign Language Honor Society. ASL HS offers students who are enrolled in or have completed ASL 3 to further their ASL studies through community service.
What are the requirements to be in ASL HS?
* Students must possess an overall GPA of 3.5 in his/her ASL coursework
* Students must possess an overall GPA of 3.2 in all other subjects.
* Students must complete a minimum of 15 hours of community service that benefits the Deaf community.
How often do you meet?
Meetings will be on as "as needed" basis, so students are expected to show when a meeting is called. You may see me or email me at any appropriate time if you have any questions or concerns regarding your service opportunities.
What kind of volunteer opportunities are available?
These are suggestions. You are not limited to this list. If there is something you think of outside this list, please see me to make sure that it meets the parameters of ASL HS community service. You are responsible for being proactive in setting up volunteer opportunities. I am more than happy to help you and guide you, but it must be a team effort. You may:
*Tutor ASL students
*Volunteer at FSDB
*Volunteer to work the concession stand at FSDB football games (only available in the fall)
* teach ASL at a public library
* Volunteer in an elementary or middle school classroom to teach students ASL
How do I keep track of my hours?
You must keep track of your volunteer dates, times, description, and obtain a signature of an adult in the environment in which you work. This form is due by April 1st, when all hours must be completed.
Place form here
Do I have to pay anything?
* A one-time fee of $5 per member is required. This covers the establishment and continued dues of ASL HS at Nease.
* Graduation honor cords are $10. This is due by April 1st and should be paid when you turn in your volunteer form.
* The Laurent Clerc Medal is $12. If you qualify for this medal (three years of ASL, 3.7 ASL GPA, 3.5 overall GPA, 15+ hours of community service), the fee is due by April 1st as well.