Welcome to HOPE
I am looking forward to a successful second semester for all our HOPE students! Attached below is the complete HOPE course syllabus along with my contact information. You will find posted assignments and their due dates on eSchool Plus. The assignments and worksheets can be found on the tabs to the left of this page. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or comments at my e-mail address provided below. Important dates for course supplies and PE uniforms are included in the syllabus.
CHAPTER HANDOUTS WILL BE LOCATED AT button on the left side of this page. Asignments are on the left side tab as well. IF YOU ARE ABSENT, DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THE ITEMS YOU NEED.
Access to ONLINE TEXTBOOK is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check out a book or CD ROM to use at home.
PE. Uniform/Lockers/locks: Beginning Thursday January 17th, all students in HOPE class will be required to dress out in the Nease PE uniform. We will dress out every Thursday and Friday. Uniforms and PE lockers can be purchased in the gym during HOPE, TEAM SPORTS, or WEIGHTLIFTING classes.
The PE uniform is $20 for the set.
Locker/lock rental is $5 for the semester. The PE department will provide the locks.
School Year 2012-2013
Second semester January - june 2013
Instructor: Mrs. S. Cox School Hours: Monday through Friday 9:15 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Office: First Floor in Gym Classroom: J 202 Planning period: 2nd
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Check eSchool Plus for assignment updates, classwork, grades and attendance information
*Please see end note concerning electronic devices in the classroom.
This syllabus is to be the first page of the HOPE notebook.
The purpose of this course is to develop and enhance critical life skills necessary to make sound decisions and take positive actions for healthy, physically active, and effective living. The content will include, but will not be limited to:
- Wellness and personal health promotion
- Emotional, intellectual and personal development
- Responsible decision-making, planning, and goal-setting
Communication, interpersonal and coping skills
- Relationships and family life
- Lifestyle-related disease
- Stress management
- Basic nutrition, weight management and eating disorders
- Movement and coordination
- Cardiovascular and respiratory health
- Exercise and lifelong fitness
Substance use and abuse, including tobacco, alcohol and other drugs
- Human Sexuality/Abstinence
Maturity and aging
- Disease prevention
- HIV/AIDS and other STI’s
- Injury prevention
Supplies: Students will need the following supplies by Monday August 27th 2012:
- School provided text book on CD/Online Text
- One 1” 3-ring binder with 5 tab divider
- Lined notebook paper
Attendance and Class work:
- Students are responsible for all information presented in class, including assignments, homework and any changes in procedures. This information can be found on eSchool Plus.
- Homework must be turned in on the due date for full credit.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check and make up all work missed during the course of an absence.
- Cutting class and truancy will result in a zero grade for all work on days missed.
- Arrangements for an “excused” tardy or absence must be approved by the instructor.
- Read the Nease High School Student Code of Conduct. All rules in the conduct code will be strictly enforced!
Preparation expectations for classroom participation:
- Students will need to bring their HOPE notebook with tab dividers and paper, and a pen or pencil each day.
- Students will be expected to report to class on time, and to begin work immediately.
- Students will be expected to have their PE uniforms on activity days
Appropriate behavior will be expected at all times. Class rules will be posted.
Expectations for activity participation:
- Student will need to be dressed out in the Nease PE uniform by Thursday August 30th.
- Students must dress out each activity day (Thursday and Friday).
- Students will be given a daily participation grade.
- Points will be totaled each week for grade entry.
- Weekly participation grades will be averaged for the nine-week’s grade.
- Students will earn daily points if he/she:
- is dressed out for participation –Nease PE uniform and appropriate sneaker type gym shoes. Workout clothes from other sports are NOT acceptable for PE classes.
- has an excused absence
- participates in the designated activity.
- Students will not receive participation points if they cut class or school.
- If students are suspended from school, make-up classes will be scheduled at instructor’s convenience.
Grade breakdown for HOPE
- Scheduled, tests, special assignments - 30%
- Classwork assignments - 30%
- Participation – 40%
- A Mid Term exam will be administered at the end of the first semester. A Comprehensive Final Exam will be administered at the end of the school year. The Mid-Term and Final Exam will count as 20% of the semester grade.
Grades: A: 100-90% B: 89-80% C: 79-70% D: 69-60% F: Below 60%
- The use of cell phones, I-pods and electronic games is not permitted in the classroom at any time. Use in the classroom will result in confiscation of the device.
- Confiscated devices will be taken to the administration.
Parent signature required by Friday August 24, 2012.
I have read the HOPE course syllabus, and will help my student to carry out course requirements on time.
Parent Signature Date