Welcome to HOPE 2013-2014
I am looking forward to a successful year for all our HOPE students! Attached below is the complete HOPE course syllabus along with my contact information. The assignments and worksheets can be found on the tabs to the left of this page. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or comments at my e-mail address provided below. Important dates for course supplies and PE uniforms are included in the syllabus.
This year, HOPE will be a blended course, with some of the work using the online program along with class work, projects, and research. The remainder of the class work will involve physical activity with fitness assignments and goals.
PE. Uniform/Lockers/locks: Beginning Thurdsay August 29th, all students in HOPE class will be required to dress out in the Nease PE uniform. We will dress out every Thursday and Friday. Uniforms and PE lockers can be purchased in the gym during HOPE, TEAM SPORTS, or WEIGHTLIFTING classes. A PE uniform and locker are required for all students involved in activity classes.
The PE uniform is $20 for the set.
Locker/lock rental is $5 for the semester. The PE department will provide the locks.
PLATO online information: We have begun work on the online HOPE course through PLATO/Edmentum Learning.
Here is the website, and log-in information for PLATO HOPE.
Account Login: SJCSD
PLATO name: Student ID#
Password: Student ID#
We are currently working on Unit 1 'Getting Active'. The students will complete the Tutorial and the Mastery Test for each of the following sub-topics in Unit 1. We will not be taking the Pre-Test. When the computer lab is installed in the HOPE classroom, we will be doing more of the requisite on-line activities for the HOPE Blended course.
This unit includes:
Basics of Physical Activity
Safety and Injury Prevention
Benefits of Physical Activity
Instructor: Mrs. S. Cox Room #: J201
This course will help students realize the importance of making smart choices when it comes to fitness, nutrition, relationships, drugs and other important aspects in the lives of an adolescent. This course will consist of both classroom work and physical fitness activities.
Access HOPE class online: http:/ple.platoweb.com
Supplies: Students will need the following supplies by Monday August 26th 2013:
- Pencil, pen every day!
- Colored pencils (box of 12) and highlighters
- One 1” 3-ring binder with 5 tab divider
- Lined notebook paper college rule
Units covered in Semester A:
Unit 1 – Getting Active
Basics of Physical Activity and Exercise: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Safety and Injury Prevention: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Benefits of Physical Activity: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Unit Activity: Getting Active
Unit 2 – Movement and Individual Wellness
Biomechanics and Movement: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Endurance: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Individual Caloric and Nutritional Needs: Exploration and Mastery Test
Nutrition and Chronic Diseases: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Designing a Personal Fitness Program: Program and Mastery Test
Unit 3 – Health Lifestyles and Sports
Lifestyle Fitness: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Your Role in Maintaining Your Health: Exploration and Mastery Test
Your Lifestyle and Your Health: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Evolution of Sports: Tutorial and Mastery Test
Unit Activity: Lifestyle
- Be prepared
- Be prompt
- Be productive
- Be polite and positive
- Be a problem Solver
- No: food, gum, hats, cell phones or iPods in the classroom. See school policy on electronic devices.*
- Read the Nease High School Student Code of Conduct. All rules in the conduct code will be strictly enforced!
PLATO Course requirements: Students will be graded on the following:
- Learning Modules
- Mastery Tests
- Written assignments/activities
- Special Projects
- Unit Post Tests
- End of the Semester Test
Physical Activity Requirements: Students will be graded on the following:
- Students will be given a daily participation grade.
- Dressing out is required for daily credit!
- Student MUST participate in physical activity and fitness lessons. If a student needs to be excused form participation he/she must bring a note signed by the parent for that day. More than two days, a doctor’s note is required.
- Students must dress out each activity day (Thursday and Friday) in the Nease PE uniform and appropriate sneaker type gym shoes. Flip-flops/slides are NOT acceptable for PE classes.
- Homework must be turned in on the due date for full credit.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check and make up all work missed during the course of an absence.
- Cutting class and/or truancy will result in a zero grade for all work on days missed.
- Every student MUST have a PE locker. The fee per semester is $5.00
- Students will have 5 minutes to dress out and 5 minutes to dress back in.
- Students must lock up belongings! Make sure to lock your lockers and place all important things in your locker!
Grade breakdown for HOPE
- Scheduled tests/special projects - 30%
- Classwork assignments - 20%
- Homework – 10%
- Participation – 40%
Grades: A: 100-90% B: 89-80% C: 79-70% D: 69-60% F: Below 60%
- The use of cell phones, I-pods and electronic games is not permitted in the classroom at any time. Use in the classroom will result in confiscation of the device.
- Confiscated devices will be taken to the administration.
Parent signature required by Friday August 23, 2013.
Parent Signature Date